Re: defining 'distribution' (Re: A few more LPPL concerns)

Jeff Licquia wrote
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 23:10, Boris Veytsman wrote:
>> > From: Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org>
>> > Date: 21 Jul 2002 22:59:26 -0500
>> >
>> > It's crucial to your point, therefore, that there not be a
>> > distinction between running the program from /usr/local/bin or
>> > /afs/whatever/bin.  I think we've shown that this isn't the case,
>> > since a sysadmin does not need to give source to every person with a
>> > login on his box, but does if he exports the program via AFS.
>>
>> Exactly. I really do not see the difference between running a program
>> from /usr/local/bin or /afs/whatever/bin/. What is the difference
>> between AFS and NFS besides the technical one?
>
> There is none.  In case you aren't aware, I feel NFS exporting
> constitutes distribution as well.
>
>>  My /usr/local/bin can
>> be NFS-exported to hundreds of computers. Even my box can have
>> hundreds logins there.
>
> Yes, but in the former case, you are distributing the program to
> hundreds of computers.  In the latter, hundreds of users are running
> the program.

What about a clustered environment, such as Mosix?  One virtual machine (the
cluster) consisting of many individual nodes.  /usr/local/bin/latex can be
running on any of the nodes.

Is that distribution?
If I'm the only user on the cluster?
If there are 1000 students logging into the cluster?

If the data is not shared over a network, is it distribution?  For example,
a SAN-attached shared disk array that provides the same physical partition
to several systems?  How is that different than AFS, NFS, or rsync?

--Joe