Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org> wrote:
> > First of all, requiring a source file rename is, I think, obviously OK;
> > renaming "foo.c" to "bar.c" doesn't really affect your rights, and is
> > mostly an annoyance (tracking down Makefile references and so on).
>
> Why is this obviously OK?  DFSG #4 allows people to mandate the change
> of the name of the work.  Requiring name changes of files is too
> granular.  What if the license required you to change the names of the
> functions inside the files (this would be analogous to changing the
> API, just as the LPPL wants you to do).  What if you had to change the
> names of variables?

I think as the FSF's comments on the latex situation exemplify, the
question ends up being a matter of "how much of a pain is it".  Since
latex apparently has a global file-mapping feature (something not
previously noted on the discussion on debian-legal, AFAICT) the
problem is not actually hugely severe--and easily worked around, as
other threads have indicated.