Re: LaTeX & DFSG

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Boris Veytsman wrote:

> This is a technical question, so please excuse my rather technical
> answer. On the other hand this answer might be instructive in the way
> (La)TeX works and why we do not want to change the kernel.

It was indeed instructive to me.  But it was based on a premise that I
didn't read in Jeff's message.

> Ok, suppose you want to add a euro symbol to your document. Old
> documents do not mention euro, so I can assume we have a new document.

I don't mean to waste your time, but I think it would be equally
instructive if you didn't make this assumption.  What is required for me
to distribute a ltx-eurodollar such that any document that prints
dollar signs (in CM) in latex instead prints euro signs when the user
runs ltx-euroinsteadofdollar?

> Well, as you see, this community has its own way of modifying
> programs. We have traditions that predate GPL, Linux and even C. We
> are quite happy with the way the things are.

Understandably so, but we're talking about the freedom of latex, and
whether it can be modified, not the freedom to modify documents which may
or may not have their own licenses.