Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:28:58AM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

> In that case probably it's best if we just all come back then.
> It will be a lot of work finalising the details of a rewrite of LPPL
> and if the only benefit of that is that you declare LaTeX suitable for
> the free part of Debian, that effort will be completely wasted if TeX
> and the fonts are not in the free part.

> I'd like to see LaTeX classed as Free by Debian (because it is Free)
> but distributing LaTeX separately from TeX would be non sensical
> and lead to massive user confusion. So if TeX and the CM fonts were in
> non-free I'd suggest you distribute latex from there as well, even if
> latex had a licence that you would be happy to classify as free.

FWIW, you wouldn't even need to ask. :)  Debian policy requires our
'main' archive to be self-contained; even if a piece of software meets
the DFSG, if it depends on other software that does not, it's placed in
a separate archive section called 'contrib'.

And I definitely think moving LaTeX to contrib would be a loss for all
Debian users.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer