Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:51:05PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> Absolutely.  Debian distributes modified kernels, and I know that we
> didn't ask for permission from Linus or the thousands of other
> copyright holders.  In fact, some of the modifications were made
> against the express wish of some of the copyright holders.

I hasten to add that our modifications are legally permitted under the
terms of the copyright license, which is the GNU GPL.

Again, we see a distinction between "that which the copyright holder
permits" and "that which the copyright holder thinks is a good idea".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      If encryption is outlawed, only