Re: Is this license free enough for Debian?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:20:23PM +0200, Aaron Isotton <aaron@isotton.com> wrote...

> VI. ELECTED OPTIONS
>
> 1) Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is
>    prohibited without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
>
> 2) Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard
>    (paper) book form is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained
>    from the copyright holder.  Other forms of distribution including
>    CD-ROM, electronic, and magnetic media are permitted.

As mentioned by somebody else, the OPL without any options is considered
DFSG-free, so let's just look at the options.

the first option is clearly in violation DFSG's requirement to
allow derived works. The second point is in my opinion against the
DFSG's spirit of redistribution freedom but actually does not
violate the Free Distribution clause because that only requires it
to be distributable as a component of a software distribution => digital.

So I'd say non-free, because it is obviously redistributable by Debian
unless we are distributing a substantively modified version.

--
	Oliver M. Bolzer
	oliver@gol.com

GPG (PGP) Fingerprint = 621B 52F6 2AC1 36DB 8761  018F 8786 87AD EF50 D1FF