Re: GPL compatibility of DFCL

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:25:21PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > I don't have a problem with an endorsements clause (or, as seems to be more
> > important here, the "lack of endorsement" clause).  I'd have a problem with
> > content that, when pulled out of a GPL'd work, would suddenly have additional
> > restrictions over those of the GPL, like needing to restore a different
> > license.

> This would be a valid criticism, except that you are already required to
> honor the original license on all other works that are incorporated into
> others and later stripped out.

The very real difference is that in all other cases, you can continue to
follow the original license *by continuing to comply with the terms of
the GPL*.

However, if the endorsement clause can be interpreted as being
GPL-compliant (i.e., it can be understood as part of the legal
boilerplate that licensors are allowed to require the reproduction of),
then there should be no problem with or without the special wording --
it just becomes more convenient for GPL authors if they don't have to
reproduce the endorsement clause /everywhere/ that DFCL content is used.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer