Re: forbidding later version of GPL for xsoldier

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

>On 08-Jun-2002 Oohara Yuuma wrote:
>> [Please Cc: to me because I am not subscribed to the list.]
>>
>> I took over the upstream of xsoldier (I am not the original author,
>> so I don't have the copyright).  It was under GPL version 2
>> or later.  Can I put it under GPL exactly version 2, that is,
>> forbid any later version?  GPL says:
>>>   6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
>>> Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
>>> original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
>>> these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
>>> restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
>>> You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to
>>> this License.
>> Is forbidding later versions of GPL "further restrictions"?
>>

>Unless you own the copyright the GPL does not give you permission to relicense.
>Stating that you may only use the GPLv2 changes the current license and is just
>as forbidden as deciding you want to re-release it as BSD licensed software.

What part of "Each version is given a distinguishing version number.
If the Program specifies a version number of this License which applies to
it and "any later version", you have the option of following the terms and
conditions either of that version or of any later version published by the
Free Software Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version
number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by the
Free Software Foundation." do you not understand?  Or is it the part of
"Each licensee is addressed as "you"." that you're misunderstanding?  It's
not a relicensing, simply a choosing of one fork of a dual licensing tree,
which is enumerated in clause 9.  To be more exact, by using the GPL, the
author ceded his right to determine the final form of the license to the
FSF unless he used a specific version of the GPL, subject only to the
promise of the FSF in clause 9 that they wouldn't change the spirit of
the GPL.

--
Sacred cows make the best burgers

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!!!