Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

Hi There!

Checked out the other 2 patents on RLE;

As a result of this nomarch can be included in main, and the other
packages (SDL, OpenGL and Mesa) where RLE are used can stay where they
are.

After sitting down and carefully looking at them for most of the day,
the summary is as follows:

US pat 4,586,027 does not apply to nomarch or RLE as below.

US pat.4,872,009 has preanalysis and dictionary techniques in  it, as
well as being bidirectional.  Basic RLE and algorithm in nomarch is not
like this.

US pat. 4,988,998 is about RLE being used and mixed in with LZW...  not
applicable to nomarch or ordinary RLE...

The compression FAQ referenced below is wrong about ordinary RLE being
patented. in the above patents as they are either quite specific in
their application where RLE is combined with the patented methods as a
minor part of the method and not isolated as a stand alone item or claim
(4,586,027 4,988,998), or they are about compression methods that are
significantly different to ordinary RLE by the use of pre-analysis and
data dictionaries (4,872,009).

Where ordinary RLE is in a patent it appears that it is used as a common
well known technique and by itself would not be held as patentable.

I am not a lawyer, but I am trained as a Mechanical Engineer so I do
have some skill in reading these sort of documents.  If there is any one
here with a knowledge of patents could they please check my findings,
and get back to me if they can find fault with my reasoning.

I hope that this has cleared this up.

Best regards,

Matthew Grant