Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

Matthew Grant <grantma@debian.org> wrote:
> Dear James,
>
> Could you please withdraw the nomarch package from the main upload
> queue.  This thing belongs in non-free.

Wait a minute.  Is this patent being enforced?  If every patent that
existed were enforced, every piece of software in Debian would have to
be taken out.  Since RLE is such a simple form of encoding, I can't
imagine that it is being actively enforced.  I would recommend that
nomarch stay where it is.

In any case, if nomarch is removed from main, it can't be put in
non-free unless we have licensing terms (which we don't).

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu