Re: New CUPS license violates DFSG 6?

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 16:26, Santiago Vila wrote:
> This means if we mix CUPS code under the new GPL+exception license and
> ordinary GPL code, the result may only be distributed under the
> unmodified GPL or not distributed at all, which means you can't send
> CUPS maintainers a GPLed patch anymore...

In practical terms, this isn't a real issue; Easy Software Products
requires that you assign them copyright for any patch they incorporate
into official CUPS releases.  So patch writers are already giving them
the liberty to relicense as they wish.

If unofficial CUPS releases contained standard GPL code, then I imagine
the whole work would end up under the straight GPL; even if the
restriction were relaxed for most of the code, the "unrelaxed" code
would place restrictions on MacOS users that would, in effect, license
the combined work under the GPL.  I don't see how this would contradict
the license of either work.

But I agree that the wording isn't ideal, and that dual-licensing would
probably serve their purposes better.