Re: linux gpl question

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 13:29:44 +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> I can't find the exact details on the web anymore, but I remember that
> NeXTStep distributed only the object files

It's in "Copyleft: Pragmatic Idealism" by RMS,
	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

"Consider GNU Objective C. NeXT initially wanted to make this front end
proprietary; they proposed to release it as .o files, and let users link
them with the rest of GCC, thinking this might be a way around the GPL's
requirements. But our lawyer said that this would not evade the
requirements, that it was not allowed. And so they made the Objective C
front end free software."

Ray
--
"If we put in English phrases, that makes it readable".  That's COBOL.
	Larry Wall on common fallacies of language design