Re: O: gnu-standards -- GNU coding standards

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:32:16PM -0700, Mark Rafn wrote:
> I'm not certain I agree.  Point one of the social contract is "Debian Will
> Remain 100% Free Software".  The obvious reading of this is that anything
> that is not free software cannot be in Debian.

I tend to doubt that *either* was intended when this was created.  It can be
read either way, and there's probably not going to be a consensus.  Everyone's
going to read it in whatever way suits what they want.

I happen to think that everything in Debian should be treated as software
as far as the DFSG is concerned.  It'd be convenient for me to read that
sentence as you say--but I doubt this particular fine point of the
statement was intended either way.

It'd be nice if people would stop fixating on interpreting that statement
and instead figure out what *should* be done.  The statement's ambiguous.
It won't help.

By the way, the issue of that statement's interpretation is not settled.
Please don't state your interpretation as more than an interpretation.

--
Glenn Maynard