Re: MMIX License

On 31 Mar 2002, Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> wrote:
On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 11:25, Pablo S. Torralba wrote:
> > I have been reading the license, that I send attached, and I cannot
> > figure exactly why this decision was made.
>
> This license doesn't explicitly allow distribution of binaries produced
> from modified source files; it seems to me that therefore it fails
> section 4 of the DFSG.

The last time this came up (in the thread from November 1999 starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/debian-legal-199911/msg00121.html )
it was generally agreed that this was probably an oversight and that we
should contact Donald Knuth, but we didn't want to wait 3 months for a
response.  Since it's been over 2 1/2 years, I think we can probably
wait an additional few months...

I'm happy to write a letter on this subject, but are there other issues
we want to address other than binary modification?  I note that the
Makefile doesn't seem to have a license; do I need to ask about that?
From the current package, that seems to be the one file that we actually
modify.

Best,
	Dylan Thurston