Re: Preprints/Reprints of Academic Papers in Packages

    C> Many packages contain preprints or reprints of academic papers
    C> as part of their documentation.  In many cases, there is no
    C> ``source'' available for these documents -- they are
    C> distributed as PostScript or PDF files.

One case that seems fairly clear to me is cases where the upstream
doesn't have the source either.  If the upstream would be stuck
editing the ps or pdf if they wanted to modify the document, then that
document is its own source code at least under the GPL definition.