Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>

> > So why bother trying to make a *contract* with users to enforce
> > things that *criminal law* already enforces in every case where the
> > contract could be of value? Isn't that just what we (debian-legal)
> > say is non-free when somebody else tries to write it into his
> > copyright license. The government's laws are for the government to
> > enforce.

> You seem to be saying that the contract is worthless since it is
> difficult to enforce.

No, I'm saying that the contract is unneccesary, because it won't make
any difference. In the cases where it is possible to enforce it, the
culprit will already being punished harder than the contract can
manage to do it.

> You aren't saying anything about whether the law requires Debian to
> make that contract.

No. Does the law do that? Would be a silly law, but the U.S.
legislature seems to have a history of passing such ones.

--
Henning Makholm                                           "Check the sprog."