Re: license evaluation

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:40:17PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:51:36PM -0600, Warren Turkal wrote:
> > Does the following liscense fall under the Debian Social Contract such
> > that it could be distributed in main? If not, how could this package be
> > distributed with Debian?

> > http://www.vovida.com/About/license.html

> I don't see why not. Was there anything you were worried about?

The one thing that tickles something in my memory is the similarity
between this license and the Apache license, with regards to the
restriction on using the name with derived products.  There seems to be
much controversy about the fact that our apache package could be in
violation of the letter of the Apache license on account of diverging
significantly from the upstream.

A clarification from the author ahead of time as to whether a Debian
package would be allowed to use the name could save some grief in
the long-term.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer