Re: draft for new Vim license

Thomas Bushnell wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net> writes:
>
> > Ah, so Debian has written and signed permission from all copyright
> > holders?  Don't think so...  I don't know how valid the copyright and
> > license remarks in the files are.  There are quite a few files without a
> > license that makes clear copying is allowed.
>
> "Quite a few"?  That's a problem.  Can you give a list, so we can
> figure out what to do with them?

What would you do with such a list?  Ask around who wrote it, verify
that the author is correct and then get the permission to copy?  Seems
you are up to a lot of work.  With little or no payback.

I think you better use the principle that Vim comes as a package, and
the license applies to the whole package, unless stated otherwise in
individual files.  The only risk is that someone takes one file out of
the package and distributes it.  Then it's not clear what copyright or
license applies to it.  But so long as Debian distributes the Vim
license with the package, that's not your problem.  It's only a risk for
the person who wrote that file.  And he might not really care about it.

--
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///