Re: draft for new Vim license

Thomas Bushnell wrote:

> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > If the license were GPL-compatible, I could license my changes under
> > the GPL, and never talk to the Vim maintainer.  However, one of the
> > things that Bram wants to be able to do is relicense the whole thing
> > under a proprietary license.  This is exactly the sort of thing that
> > the GPL is designed to prevent.  So a GPL patch would restrict future
> > official Vim distributions.
>
> Ah yes, I missed that last part.  So it does seem to me that it is not
> GPL compatible, as long as it wants to reserve the right to include
> changes in future vim distributions, which themselves might be
> released under nonfree terms.

But so long as changes are only included using the Vim license, would
there be any problem?  Thus isn't the license GPL-compatible for as
long as no incompatible-licensed changes have been included?

--
WOMAN:   Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR:  The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the purest

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///