Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:43:48PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > Yes, it is different.  One is a program making callouts to a different
> > entity, the kernel.  The case we were talking about is that of library
> > linking.
>
> I should add here that it is relevant that the callouts to the kernel
> are callouts to an interface which is defined as "not making things a
> combined derived work", which is not normally the case for a library.
> It is relevant and important here that the authors of the kernel
> intend that understanding of those callouts.

What is the definition of a "callout"?

Why is it so different to a published library function?
Apart from convenience of argument, that is.

You dismissed my Tcl example without comment but I don't see how
it is different to the kernel case. A non-free program running
in the Tcl interpreter can have the Tcl interpreter load a GPLed
library such as libreadline. The non-free program is not
linked to the library. So why is this illegal?

Hamish