Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb@becket.net>
To: <lloyder@canada.com>
Cc: <debian-legal@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

> lloyder@canada.com writes:
>
> > How so?  Example: I write a book and suggest that you get another
> > book, because I am going to identify some page numbers in that book
> > where the content supports my content.  If you don't get that book,
> > I am going to suggest that my book means nothing.
>
> The combined linked binary program is the derived work.  It is that
> combined linked program which can only be distributed if the
> distribution meets the terms of both licenses.
>
> And, any way of distributing that combined linked binary program, even
> by trying to split it up into little pieces as a subterfuge, is still
> the same thing.

If a library's interface is implemented to a standard
or similar, than someone linking to a GPL library version should be alright, no?

My concern is that in an attempt to protect users, we
are no better than patent happy USA.

> If you think there is a "bug report", then feel free to post it.  But
> don't expect me to try and think up ways for other people to defeat
> the GPL!

That is exactly what I would hope you do.

The way you have presented your feels... I do not
think that you would be receptive to a "bug report"
regardless.  Luckily, I do not think that others are
in a similar mind-space.

Regards,
Lloyd