Re: PROPOSED: interpretive guidelines regarding DFSG 3, modifiability, and invariant text

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:17:53PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > That is unacceptable because it would allow modified versions of the
>     > GNU Manifesto.
>
>     =2E..but not modified versions that carried the FSF's endorsement (unless
>     the FSF decided to do so),
>
> I understand that, but this won't be enough to make sure our message
> gets through.

I hope you'll forgive me if I do not see why this is the case.  I do not
see what aims are not served by having a complete, unadulterated copy of
all Invariant Sections in every copy of a GNU Manual.

> You and I have stated our views on this well enough, and I don't have
> time to repeat mine.  We may as well agree to stop arguing about this.

Some day, when you have time, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment
to explain to me how the FSF's message doesn't get through when you have
a guaranteed platform.

> Debian will eventually make a decision.

I'll do my best to expedite the process so that we don't have this
ambiguity in our application of the DFSG milling around any longer than
it has to.

Thanks for your time.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to