Re: Debian Package for Phylip - stripped to 3 questions

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Tille, Andreas wrote:

>Hello
>
>Joe just tried to clean up my rather confuse posting.  Just forget about
>that and try to find a suggestion for a DFSG free license which complies
>with Joes requirements.  Unfortunately I doubt we will not find such
>a license.
>
>Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

The artistic sort of does, but that's not really a VERSION of the GPL
_per se_, it's a completely different license.

>2. Does any version of GPL require the software developer to be
>   paid a royalty on money charged for redistribution?
>3. Does any version of GPL restrict people in any way from charging
>   for people to run the software on the seller's machine?  Or
>   require a royalty to the software developer for this?

I think that the artistic may do all the author wants and still be DFSG
free...  It's just GPL imcompatible.

>I suspect the answer to all three questions is "no", but would be
>happy to hear what the Debian folks think is the case.

He's right, the GPL is completely not indicated in this case.

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.