Re: Can GPLed programs use Heimdal?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:05:33 -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:21:04AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > The Heimdal implementation links against libssl in order to get its
> > crypto.  How does this effect GPLed applications?  Note that the
> > applications do not normally call any routines from libssl; they only
> > call Heimdal routines indirectly.

> Currently, however, it's my impression that indirect linking against
> libssl is as prohibited as direct linking against libssl.

I agree.

Thus, for GPLed applications using Heimdal linked against OpenSSL an
explicit exception statement by their copyright holders allowing linking
against OpenSSL is needed.

Another approach, which involves more work initially, but does away with
needing GPL exception statements for every Heimdal-using GPLed application,
would be to port Heimdal to a GPL-compatibly-licensed crypto library like
GnuTLS, gcrypt or beecrypt.

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.