Re: The old DFSG-lemma again...

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:51:12AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Would it be objectionable to the Free Software Foundation if the Debian
> > Project adopted a policy of accepting works licensed under the GNU FDL
> > as Free Software only if they contained no Invariant Sections or Cover
> > Texts (except for narrowly-construed notices of authorship, and the
> > license text)?  I hasten to add (again) that I am speaking only for
> > myself here, not for the Debian Project.
>
> This would mean that we would have to stop distributing the Emacs
> manual, which has always contained such invariant sections.

Yes, if those sections are not severable, or if the FSF is unwilling to
additionally license the manual under alternative terms that wouldn't
run afoul of the standard I am proposing.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The errors of great men are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    venerable because they are more