Re: Date licenses

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> You can use the GPL--it will work for anything as long as you
> can figure out what "source code" refers to.  The definition
> of "source code" in the GPL is actually quite general, so you
> can probably get it to fit almost any sort of data.

RMS: I believe you are missing key context.

Debain is speaking not so much about what you should use, but what
would count as "free" in the "free software" sense.  We have the
Debian Free Software Guidelines, but there is discussion about how
they should apply to documentation and other things.

So certainly the GPL counts, but the wonder is: would non-modification
requirements be acceptible for plain text (other than manuals)?  And
so forth.