Re: mplayer / divx

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:48:14PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> So far nobody's making a big deal about the patents on the DivX encoding,
> but that could change.  Debian has an unwritten and unevenly enforced
> policy of rejecting software implementing a patent or placing it into
> non-free regardless of its license.  But for patents that are not very
> well-known or the holder is not being antagonistic, you can probably get
> the software into main.

mmmkay, well, could I put mplayer (with or without CSS decryption) in
non-free? That's basically what I'm looking for. I usually boycott the
entire non-free section but when something makes it there because of
bullshit patents that I can safely ignore, that doesn't actually make
it non-free (the copyright holders aren't imposing anything that
removes your freedom).