Re: Selling CDs...

Note, I am still not a lawyer etc. etc. as this mistake of mine
clearly shows!

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:48:56PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:32:33AM +0200, Jakob B. Jensen wrote:
> > How you manage to give people source code you don't have is your
> > problem, but for option c pointing people to www.debian.org might
> > be fine if you say something like "According to the information I
> > have received, the corresponding source code can be downloaded
> > from the mirrors of www.debian.org, as of the date of the
> > snapshot" (that Debian has later updated the contents of master
> > with new versions is not your problem under 3c, if you are not
> > commercial).
>
> Note that Debian is using option 3a, distributing source together with
> binaries.  It does NOT offer or promise to keep sources around for 3 years.
> So if you got such an offer, it wasn't from Debian, and it won't refer
> to www.debian.org.
>
> Richard Braakman

I agree!  Debian has not made such an offer.  I was interpreting
option 3c to imply, that when Debian is using the special exception
for people offering download from a designated place, people who
download (directly or indirectly) from Debian are entitled to
using option 3c when e.g. giving (not selling) a friend a disc
with some binary packages.  Or even more commonly: When installing
Debian on a friends computer using your own CD-ROM.  If it was not
so, a lot of people would be violating the GPL with no ill intent.

Also note that the rest of my post was about people selling or
reselling CDs being obliged to ensure their own ability to
provide source even after their upstream (such as Debian)
stop offering it.

Keep up the good work.

Jakob

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may