Re: Questions concerning S/390 OCO-modules

> Hi,
>
> I would like to package three network device drivers for IBM S/390 (see
> ITPs #108709, #108710, #108711).
>
> The device drivers are provided by IBM as OCO (object code only) modules
> (i.e. there are no sources available) and they are released under a
> special IBM "International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs"
> (to see the license agreement click on one of the
> "{lcs,qdio,qeth}-2.4.5-s390-2.tar.gz" hyperlinks on
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/download_obj.html++).

For everyone's benefit, the license is

  International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs

  General Terms

  The Program is owned by International Business Machines Corporation
  or one of its subsidiaries (IBM) or an IBM supplier, and is
  copyrighted and licensed, not sold.

  The term "Program" means the original program and all whole or
  partial copies of it. A Program consists of machine-readable
  instructions, its components, data, audio-visual content (such as
  images, text, recordings, or pictures), and related licensed
  materials.

  This Agreement is the complete agreement regarding the use of this
  Program, and replaces any prior oral or written communications between
  you and IBM.

  1. License

  Use of the Program

  IBM grants you a nonexclusive license to use the Program.

  You may 1) use the Program to the extent of authorizations you have
  acquired and 2) make, install and distribute copies to support the
  level of use authorized, providing you reproduce the copyright notice
  and any other legends of ownership on each copy, or partial copy, of
  the Program and that you provide a copy of this International License
  Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs along with the distribution of
  each copy or partial copy of the Program.

  You will ensure that anyone who uses the Program does so only in
  compliance with the terms of this Agreement.

  You may not 1) use, copy, modify, or distribute the Program except
  as provided in this Agreement; 2) reverse assemble, reverse compile,
  or otherwise translate the Program except as specifically permitted by
  law without the possibility of contractual waiver; or 3) sublicense,
  rent, or lease the Program.

  2. No Warranty

  SUBJECT TO ANY STATUTORY WARRANTIES WHICH CAN NOT BE EXCLUDED, IBM
  MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
  WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THE IMPLIED
  WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
  REGARDING THE PROGRAM OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT, IF ANY. IBM MAKES NO
  WARRANTY REGARDING THE CAPABILITY OF THE PROGRAM TO CORRECTLY
  PROCESS, PROVIDE AND/OR RECEIVE DATE DATA WITHIN AND BETWEEN THE
  20TH AND 21ST CENTURIES.

  The exclusion also applies to any of IBM's subcontractors,
  suppliers, or program developers (collectively called "Suppliers").

  Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers of non-IBM Programs may
  provide their own warranties.

  3. Limitation of Liability

  NEITHER IBM NOR ITS SUPPLIERS WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT OR
  INDIRECT DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, LOST
  SAVINGS, OR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR OTHER ECONOMIC CONSEQUENTIAL
  DAMAGES, EVEN IF IBM IS INFORMED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY. SOME
  JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL
  OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT
  APPLY TO YOU.

  4. General

  Nothing in this Agreement affects any statutory rights of consumers
  that cannot be waived or limited by contract.

  IBM may terminate your license if you fail to comply with the terms
  of this Agreement. If IBM does so, you must immediately destroy the
  Program and all copies you made of it.

  You agree to comply with applicable export laws and regulations.

  Neither you nor IBM will bring a legal action under this Agreement
  more than two years after the cause of action arose unless otherwise
  provided by local law without the possibility of contractual waiver or
  limitation.

  Neither you nor IBM is responsible for failure to fulfill any
  obligations due to causes beyond its control.

  IBM does not provide program services or technical support, unless
  IBM specifies otherwise.

> This raises a few questions:
>
>  - Does the license allow distribution of the oco-drivers with Debian?
>
>    From item 1. of the license agreement I derive that this is possible
>    as long as
>
>    a) Debian assures that the license agreement is distributed with the
>       oco-driver and
>
>    b) that the user explicitely agrees with the terms of the license
>       (actually the user can not download the oco-drivers from the
>       IBM web site without explicitely accepting the agreement).
>
>    I think a) is definitely not a problem and b) could be realized by
>    asking the user before installing the oco-driver whether (s)he agrees
>    with the license (could probably be done in the preinstall-script?).

Actually, the requirement is a little different from that.  We have to
ensure that anyone who uses the program will comply with the license.
They don't have to have read the license, so we don't have to have a
post install pop-up (which would be incredibly annoying).  But they do
have to follow it.  So if someone gets it from Debian and then reverse
engineers it, Debian might no longer be able to distribute it (and
must destroy all copies).

I'm not sure whether that injunction will then apply to all of the
people that we gave it to.  If it does, then people would have to
check the debian website at regular interval to make sure that we
still had the ability to distribute.  I think this would be too much
even for non-free.

However, if people who got it from us don't have to destroy the copy
they have, then we could probably distribute it.  At some point, IBM
might decide that we can't distribute it anymore, and we would just
take it out.

There is some verbiage saying that no one is responsible for events
beyond their control.  That might save this agreement, but I'm not
sure what "events beyond its control" means.  People could certainly
argue that we knew, or should have known, that someone would reverse
engineer it (or violate export law, or make a copy without the
license, etc.).

>    Who finally decides whether such a package can go into non-free?

The original decision is made by the developer (and maybe the ftp
maintainers).  If enough people complain about it, I guess it goes to
the technical committee.  They would probably read the archives of
debian-legal in making their decision.  Others would know more than I.

>    What would be the alternative, if the package could not go into
>    non-free (i.e. not be part of the distribution at all)?

Make an installer, if that makes sense here.  Or talk to IBM and ask
them to take out the line requiring us to make sure that everyone who
uses the software will comply with the license.  Otherwise, you're out
of luck.

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu