Re: Q: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

This is not legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is hereby
established. etc. etc.

Here are some salient quotes from the 9th Circuit decision in the Napster
case:

Traditionally, "one who, with knowledge of the infringing activity, induces,
causes or materially contributes to the infringing conduct of
another, may be held liable as a `contributory' infringer."
Gershwin Publ'g Corp. v. Columbia Artists Mgmt., Inc., 443
F.2d 1159, 1162 (2d Cir. 1971); see also Fonovisa, Inc. v.
Cherry Auction, Inc., 76 F.3d 259, 264 (9th Cir. 1996). Put
differently, liability exists if the defendant engages in "per-
sonal conduct that encourages or assists the infringement."
Matthew Bender & Co. v. West Publ'g Co., 158 F.3d 693, 706
(2d Cir. 1998).

and

Secondary liability for copyright infringement does not exist in the
absence of direct infringement by a third party. Religious Tech. Ctr. v.
Netcom On-Line Communication Servs., Inc., 907 F. Supp. 1361, 1371
(N.D. Cal. 1995) ("[T]here can be no contributory infringement by a
defendant without direct infringement by another."). It follows that Nap-
ster does not facilitate infringement of the copyright laws in the absence
of direct infringement by its users.

Henning's point which I believe is a valid one is that an end-user needs to
infringe in order for someone else to be found a contributory infringer. If
the end-users are licensed, there can be no contributory infringement. The
point is then that an end-user should be able to link licensed GPL code to
non-GPLed code on his/her computer by virtue of the terms of the respective
licenses (and hence not infringe the copyright of either code). The posited
example does not involve simultaneous distribution of incompatible GPL and
non-GPLed code combined as a derived work nor does it involve that same kind
of distribution by the end-user. Perhaps a more apposite example would be
someone "inducing" the end-user to combine the incompatible GPL and
non-GPLed code as a derived work and instructing that end-user to
distribute.