Re: Microcode license [#3]

Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> 2) It is difficult to say that microcode is a program:
>    there are surelly many entry points (one per instruction),
>    many exit point. Instruction are executed partly in parallel,...
>    It is too hardware dependent. You can see it also as a immage for
>    a chip. Then the electric flow are influenced by this immage (like
>    photocopy machines), but relly it is not a program (AFAIK, the
>    intel microcode is a list of changes of order of u-instructions
>    in instruction). But until we have not full (or also some) Intel
>    microcode and CPU internal build documentation, we cannot know
>    if it is software...

Oh, please!  We know it's software.  They call it *microcode*.

Having many entry points, parallel processing, hardware dependencies:
all these are characteristics of it, but it is still software.

It isn't hardware, precisely because you can upload *different*
microcodes and get different behavior.  And Intel (IIUC) is preventing
people from having the liberty to change and alter how that
*programmable* function gets programmed.

> 3) You should be more contructive. Intel already changed the license
>    because of Debian need. If you point to me exactly what is wrong
>    and what changes should be taken, I can tell Intel to improve the
>    license for the second time.

They should conform to the DFSG.  How hard is that?  Relabeling a
dog's tail to be a leg doesn't make it a leg.  They need to make it
*free software*, not just try and redefine terms so that it isn't
software.

Thomas