Re: New idea for finessing patent issues (was: lame (again!))

Hey, hang on!  If there's something wrong with the idea (eg, you think
it wouldn't really shield Debian from liability) please explain in
more detail.

Vendors of proprietary software use click-through licenses all the
time.  In part, these agreements are used to shield the vendors from
legal liability.  Similar agreements give users notification of legal
prohibitions, eg on public performance of some DVDs, or unsuitability
of material for viewers below the age of eighteen.  I don't see why we
can't avail ourselves of the same mechanisms, or why they would work
for other distributors but not for Debian.

It would be prudent to consult legal counsel, to make sure it actually
does work the way we want it to, and to make sure everything is
phrased just so.  But you seem to have some kind of in-principle
objection to the idea, even assuming it passes muster with lawyers?