Re: request

 > Can you cite anything in the Berne convention or related treaties?
 > -- Jürgen A. Erhard

- By [1](article 15, point 1), in order that the author of a protected
  work shall be regarded as such, it is sufficient for his name to
  appear on the work in the usual manner.

- By [1](article 2, points 1 and 6) and [1](article 15, point 1),
  any mail (electronic mail, where the real and complete name of the
  author is enclosed by default) is a protected work in all countries
  of the Union; the protection operates "for the benefit of the author
  and his successors in title" (provided the author meets the
  "Criteria of Eligibility for Protection", according to [1], article
  3, point 1). As mail is subject to copyright, in being a protected
  work, no part of it should  be reproduced, adapted or transmitted
  without the written consent of the copyright owner.

- The Debian organisation (Debian) "exists"^1 within the Union.

  1. No inspectable document seem to exist that proves Debian to be a
     legally recognised organisation, so that the term "exists" shall
     be intended as provisional. The Debian Internet sites, whose
     respective server is in countries of the Union, suggest that some
     form of legal registration is available, as these Internet sites
     are indeed present on the Internet
     (see http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors).

- As Debian "exists" within the Union, Debian is subject to [1], so
  that, in particular, any mail posted to a mailing list of Debian is
  a protected work.

- By [1](article 9, point 1) authors of protected works have the
  exclusive right of authorising the reproduction of these works,
  in any manner or form.

  As no legally valid document exists that proves Debian to be a
  legally valid successor in title of any author who posted to a
  Debian mailing list, Debian is not legally entitled to make
  "autonomous" decisions on the reproduction of the posted mail,
  there including transforming the original mail into an Internet
  document and its further broadcasting.

  As no legally valid document exists that proves Debian to have a
  legally granted permission (written consent of the copyright owner)
  to reproduce these works in any manner or form, Debian is not
  legally entitled by the authors to reproduce the posted mail, there
  including transforming the original mail into an Internet document
  and its further broadcasting.

  Furthermore, in the specific case of mail management, the overall
  situation with Debian mailing lists is analogous to having a person
  in the post-office opening the posted mail and arbitrarily
  reproducing and publishing its content world wide.

- By [1](article 16, part 1), infringing copies of a work are liable
  to seizure in any country of the Union where the work enjoys legal
  protection.

  Debian has been managing the mailing lists in violation of the Berne
  Convention [1], and these mail are now subject to seizure.

  Following the discussion with some Debian correspondents, some of
  them being also representative of Debian, these correspondents
  claimed what follows: "as you posted to Debian, and Debian archives
  are in the USA, then Debian can publish your mail even if you do not
  want" and "by posting to a Debian list you implicitly granted Debian
  the permission to publish". As these Debian correspondents also
  believe this is a correct behaviour for Debian (which is not,
  because USA has signed the Berne Convention in March 1, 1989), this
  is the evidence that Debian has been consciously encouraging and
  supporting the violation of the Berne Convention, which happens to
  be the Universal Copyright Convention.

  My original request to Debian still holds.
  Please, delete all my mail from your system and destroy any copies.

> Please get back to me with an e-mail, confirming that
> the requested operation has been successful.

 SB

---