Re: request

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 11:12:12AM +0100, Sergio Brandano wrote:
> Sam> Under US law ...
> Well, we are under international copyright here.
> My observation was that "Mailing Lists" (Debian's
> or otherwise) are suddenly claiming copy-rights
> as if they were officially registered periodicals,
> and that such a claim is not legal.

[...]

You just don't get it, do you?  Just about all the mailing lists /
newsgroups on the Internet are archived, and such archives are often
publicly accessible through the Internet.  That is the way it works!
That is what a mailing list or newsgroup is supposed to work!
And no, the archivers are not claiming any copyrights!

Deja.com (now owned by Google.com) has a large archive of newsgroup posting
from at least five years ago, and was, is (or will soon be) available
publicly for all to see.

The Linux Kernel mailing list is also archived and available publicly.  For
example:

	http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/

Have you seen anyone complain about it?  No!  Why?  Because whenever you
post to a public mailing list, you have already implicitly agreed that your
message will be archived for public viewing.

If you don't want your e-mail to be archived, then DON'T post to a mailing
list!  Plain and simple.  It is just common sense.  Don't throw in a whole
bunch of legal mumble to justify otherwise.  Don't try to change the way
public mailing lists work just because you alone don't like it.

Anything you post to _any_ mailing lists will be archivedq
in one form or another, and often available publicly.  This is the norm.
Don't expect otherwise.  If you disagree, fine, just don't post anything to
a public mailing list then.

Regards,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada