Re: Is there a free license which prohibits commercial derived works?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:19:57AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> : and distribute for no charge, for non-commercial purposes the source
> : and/or object code of DERIVED SOFTWARE on any present and future
> : support, providing:
>
> So they want to disallow commercial use or circulation of derived
> works.  Our `What is free software' web page appears to say
> that's okay

Wrong.

   1.Free Redistribution

     The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from
selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
software distribution containing programs from several different
sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such
sale.

   5.No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups

     The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
persons.

   6.No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

     The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
research.