Re: unofficial mozilla 0.8 deb, autonotification in dupload

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:04:59PM -0700, John Galt wrote:

> This issue has been done to death.  Basically, there's a notification
> requirement in the BXA rules.

It seems to me that once someone has met the notification requirement for a
given bit of software, the export restrictions on it magicly evaporate. I
agree with Joseph Carter: just upload it to main.

> Nobody that can do it wants to, and nobody
> that wants to do it can.

I can do it. I want to do it. Since the act of putting the software on a
public Internet site starts the chain of events that eventually leads to
export, the person doing the upload must make the notification. I see no
reason why Takuo KITAME would be incapable of making such notification.
While it might be considered a hassle, it's easy enough to automate.

On an additional note, would Stephane Bortzmeyer accept a patch that causes
dupload to mail a copy of the upload to a list of email addresses before it
is uploaded? It could be used, for example, to automagically mail a copy to
crypt@bxa.doc.gov>.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com