Re: Final Draft: Interpretive Guideline regarding DFSG clause 3

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:36:49AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> See, here's the problem.
>
> You make a proposal with very hard bright-line tests.  When people say
> "that's too strict, what about special cases", you say "oh, these are
> just *guidelines*; we can still grandfather things or make special
> cases".  But then you refuse to say how any of that will work.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a solution in search of a problem.

However, no one's telling you you can't draft up some grandfathering
procedures.  They can even be as simple as:

if ($upstream_source ~= .*(gnu|fsf).org.*) then
  $grandfathered=yes
endif

That's up to you.  Whatever grandfathering procedure you come up with,
you've got to sell it to the rest of the Project.

> I'm afraid that if we agree to such a proposal with no explicit
> thoughts about grandfathering and exception-making, then some people
> (probably including you) will begin objecting to each and every
> proposed exception and grandfathering, in the name of "the agreed
> guidelines".

And what is illegitimate about objecting to exceptions?  If someone
wants to put netscape in main, does anyone have standing to complain?

> What can you say to tell me that won't happen?  You aren't willing to
> point to any existing manual and say "I would support grandfathering
> that one"; you aren't willing to say "this is the kind of
> exception-granting process I would be happy with".

Why should I have to tell you it won't happen?  What exactly is the
problem with some group of people being hard-liners about DFSG 3 and not
wanting ANY exceptions made beyind those listed in my proposal?  Is such
a stance philosophically illegitimate?  Morally compromised?  Offensive
to the Church of Emacs?

You have an unhealthy obsession with my personal opinion.  I endeavored
to make my proposal as neutral and to-the-point as possible.  To the
extent that I succeeded, my personal opinions are irrelevant.  The
proposal is the proposal and means what it says.  It doesn't mean
anything it doesn't say.  And there are a great many things it doesn't
contain, such as editorializing on my part.

But in the interest of candor, I'll tell you my opinion.

I personally have no problem if the GCC Manual and GNU Emacs Manual are
moved to non-free.  Sorry, I'm just not sufficiently enamored of these
documents to want to compromise my principles in their favor.  I own
paper copies of several GNU Manuals, including the GCC Manual, and I
won't hesitate to buy a copy of the GNU Emacs Manual should I ever
require one -- GNU Manifesto or no GNU Manifesto.  I also encourage
other people to support the FSF by purchasing merchandise from them or
making donations.  I disagree with part of the strategy of the GNU FDL,
I disagree with the FSF's tactics with respect to these manuals
specifically, and I don't think these endeavors are completely
compatible with the DFSG, but that's not the end of the world.

That I do not support grandfathering efforts on these manuals doesn't
mean I'll fight them, either.  At the moment, I don't feel motivated to
participate in such a discussion at all.  If they stay in main, that's
fine, though I'll be a little disappointed at the compromise, and I'll
worry about the day when some non-FSF entity comes along and wants a
similar exception made for themselves.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a