Re: Crypto++ again

Scripsit Zooko <zooko@zooko.com>

> ------- begin included header
> // md2.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from Andrew M. Kuchling's md2.c
> // The original code and all modifications are in the public domain.

"Public domain" is fine for our purposes. However, the question is
whether that statement is an accurate representation of Kuchling
(the original author)'s intentions:

> // This is the original introductory comment:

>  * Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
>  * dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
>  * country of residence.

We normally like to have explicit permission to modify. A good case
could probably be made that modification is implicit in the original
author's "use freely" language.

My personal opinion is that this is probably OK, but some attempt
should be made to contact Kuchling and give him a chance to complain.
In the circumstances we could interpret a lack of response as a "yes" :-)

--
Henning Makholm                                 "Need facts -- *first*. Then
                                            the dialysis -- the *analysis*."