Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 10:48:01PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I'd point out that now you have at least three or four times played
> the "I won't respond to that" card.  The rule is that once you play it
> six times, you don't get to pretend to be debating anymore.

I don't recognize any such rule, furthermore I have not "played" any
such "card" with you.

> The fact that you've already played it several times

Within what time period?  I have made such an assertion with you, RMS,
Anthony Towns, Henning Makholm, Sunnavind Fenderson, Scott Dier, or
Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller.  As far as I can recall, only Bernd Warken is
having this trouble with his MUA.  I tend to notice when I get CC'ed on
list mail.  (RMS CC'ed me as well, but that's fair because I dragged him
into it, I don't think he subscribes to the list, and could not be
expected to know if I do or not.)

> suggests to me that you are getting frustrated,

Please don't speculate as to someone's state of mind in what is supposed
to be an argument on the merits, or project your own onto your opponent.

> and that further discussion is unlikely to be beneficial at all.

Only to the extent people are unwilling to refrain from employing logical
fallacies, context-dropping, and simple disregard of mails that have
already been sent on the subject.

> Perhaps we need to take a couple weeks off, so people can sit and
> think for a bit.  But, then, I really don't think that's very likely.

I suppose it is possible that we are talking past each other; in my
experience this is often the result of conflicting but unidentified
underlying assumptions.  I'll show you mine if you show me yours.  :)

(I think I've been pretty frank, though, that I read the DFSG pretty
narrowly; that I think supplementary material should be authored and
maintained that helps serve as a repository of established decisions on
the DSFG's occasional "gray areas" and the licenses that bring them to
light; that such material may help us to determine ways in which the
DFSG may need to be amended in the future; and that the works of no
licensor or copyright holder, including the Free Software Foundation,
should be granted special treatment.  N.B., this last point is not the
same thing as saying that a specific *work* may not be granted special
treatment, a possibility my proposal leaves wide open.  It just means
that we shouldn't treat a work more generously "because it comes from
the Free Software Foundation", or more strictly "because it comes from
Microsoft".  Personal biases will assert themselves anyway; we shouldn't
codify them.)

If you're tired of the argument, you are within your rights to oppose my
proposal "just because."  Are you just looking for an opportunity to
withdraw gracefully, which apparently means belittling me on the way out
with infantilizing remarks like "you are getting frustrated"?  If that
is the case, I suggest you follow the example of RMS, who simply
expressed the fact that he didn't agree with me and didn't see any point
in further discussion, and didn't season it with veiled insults (at
least, none that I am clever enough to discern ;-) ).

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle