Re: PROPOSED: interpretive guidelines regarding DFSG 3, modifiability, and invariant text

I must confess, I'm very happy with Branden's proposal.

The shorter and informal one that Thomas posted would probably suffice, but I feel we can't do totally without one - it should at least be stated somewhere, sometime that Debian *can* distribute license texts and invariant, auxiliary material. Hitherto, this has not been explicitly stated, so technically (to the point of absurdity) we'd have to put all GPL software in contrib and the GPL license text itself in non-free. That's silly, so we should actually say somewhere what's excepted from DFSG 3. Informal or formal, either would do.

With regard to the 16K limit - that's regardless of encoding, right? One byte is one letter in iso-latin-1, but maybe different in other languages.

16K should be plenty, and if not, packages can be split (most of my suggestions are about splitting things. Split, split, split. Having fun), but to be sure we should check. Emacs has a lot of text files and jokes, for example.

Sunnanvind Briling Fenderson
----
No, my TLA isn't SBF. I have a 5LA, it's KSCBF. But that's weird, so I just go with "Sunnan".