Re: xfig-doc has license problems in examples

On 16 Oct 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

>Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I have. Try the "Choral Public Domain License"
>> (http://cpdl.snaptel.com/license.htm), which is essentially the GPL with
>> "software" replaced by "music". Was constructing that licence a
>> copyright infringement?
>
>Perhaps, but the FSF is not obligated to pursue it, are they?

Actually they are, if they wish to effectively maintain the copyright:
Otherwise, one could claim that they were copying the CPDL instead of the
GPL.  There isn't really a squatter's rights doctrine for IP, but
I'd be willing to bet that sooner or later a judge is going to get tired
of all of this submarine patenting and selective copyright enforcement and
start handing down decisions that are remarkably similar to squatter's
rights.

--
Be Careful! I have a black belt in sna-fu!

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu