Re: installing on RiscPC

Scripsit Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>

> > 1. Modifications should come back to me.  This is to prevent the current
> >    situation where people have long outstanding patches against the Linux
> >    kernel sitting around that we, as a community, never see.  If anything,
> >    this is a requirement I want to tighten up.

> This I'm not sure about. -legal?

The usual consensus on -legal is that such a requirement fails the DFSG.

It should be possible, for example, for two neighbours without 'net
access far out in the bush to use Debian (brought, presumably at great
expense, on cd's from the big city) and share improvements and
bugfixes among themselves legally.

Even best-effort requirements are looked at with suspicion and usually
turned down. Makes it easier to draw the line, even if you don't buy
the political arguments that freedom of software also means freedom to
be picky about who you share it with.

--
Henning Makholm                    "They want to be natural, the anti-social
                                 little beasts. They just don't realize that