Re: cthugha (non-free) license

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I keep hearing, though I have not had the opportunity to verify this
> with a Real Lawyer(tm), that public domain has one drawback; you can't
> attach a no-warranty statement to it.

I'm no lawyer and had not contact to US or british ones. But it would
suprise me, if the form of the rights you give away would affect the
possibility to avoid warrenty.

> It is apparently extremely important to have a statement like this:
>  [...]
> ...at least in the United States.  Else you risk getting sued when the
> stuff breaks.

I do not know well about warrenty laws in other countries. But you should
be aware, that this may only hold in USA and GB. In Germany for example
this statement is simply void. (You can avoid warrenty, but you hav
explicitly to say which warrenties, and when you try to avoid more
warrenty than you are allowed to, then the whole warrenty clause is void.)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link