Cactvs-license

Hello,

I'd like to package CACTVS, a framework of chemical applications. (so far
mostly a structure editor, but there aren't many decent of those around
for Linux...)

The license is clearly not DFSG-compliant, however, I'd like to know if
I could even upload this to non-free:

--- snip ---
This selection of programs is provided as is without any expressed or
implied warranties. While every effort has been taken to ensure proper
operation of the programs, the author assumes no responsibility for
errors or malfunctions, or for damages resulting from the use of the
programs.

The collection of programs is usable free of charge for any scientific,
non-commercial or educational purpose, but it is not in the public
domain. Commercial applications of any kind are not allowed without
licensing. You may adapt the functionality of the program to your local
needs, but you are forbidden to redistribute copies of the files
comprising the software which were altered in any respect. If you add a
valuable feature, or hunt down a bug, you are welcome to contact the
author by email (wdi@ccc.uni-erlangen.de) and the fix or feature will
be most certainly integrated into the one and only official release.
Dynamically loadable modules of any kind, like I/O format extensions,
property computation modules, data analysis tools, or GUI scripts,
written independently by yourself, for example for the standard
visualization programs of the CACTVS system, are exceptions to this
policy. You are welcome to distribute these by any means.  GUI scripts
from the base distribution which you simply edited remain subject to
the distribution limitations.

The tools cannot be used without permission in writing to generate or
process data which is redistributed for a fee. This includes the
manipulation of input information for on-line databases with access
restrictions or access fees or the postprocessing of output from these
databases.  Likewise, the preparation of data for in-house databases
and datasets distributed as CDROM or any other digital media does
require a permission if it is distributed outside your organisation and
any fee is collected for its distribution.

The tool set can be distributed as part of other non-commercial program
packages, but only in its original, unadapted form.  If anybody is
interested in providing the tools as integrated part of another
package, this must be negotiated.

Various forms of commercial licenses are available. The software
distributed in the standard downloadable package does not contain
all available applications.
--- snip ---

1. Commercial stuff is not allowed - I'd say this is the problem of the
   user to comply with?

2. We can't modify the files. As they are binary only, this won't be
   much of a trouble. But can we distribute them as .deb?

Although the project seems to be mostly stalled, the author is
responsive (although he didn't answer my questions above)

thanks,

Michael

PS: please CC me, if possible.