mplayer / divx

I would like to package Mplayer with the ffmpeg modifications that
allow it to play DivX videos without non-free code. The upstream code
of Mplayer includes OpenDivx which is non-free and I am willing to
strip this code from it in favor of the ffmpeg code if the OpenDivx
license is not changed soon.

I think that takes care of licensing, but I know that patents are a
problem when it comes to DivX. Unfortunately I don't know much detail
beyond that. Rules of my home country governing me beside, what
patents are problematic and how would it affect my hope to package?