ns network simulator licenses

I just built a package of the ns network simulator which has the following
file distributed with it. Is it free? Is it non-free? Can anyone help me
understand this?

The source files in NS variously include the following copyrights (with the
years varying):

 * Copyright (c) 1991-1997 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by the Computer Systems
 *      Engineering Group at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
 * 4. Neither the name of the University nor of the Laboratory may be used
 *    to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
 *    specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

 * Copyright (c) 1999  International Computer Science Institute
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by ACIRI, the AT&T
 *      Center for Internet Research at ICSI (the International Computer
 *      Science Institute).
 * 4. Neither the name of ACIRI nor of ICSI may be used
 *    to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
 *    specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ICSI AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL ICSI OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

 * Copyright (C) 1999 by USC/ISI
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation, advertising
 * materials, and other materials related to such distribution and use
 * acknowledge that the software was developed by the University of
 * Southern California, Information Sciences Institute.  The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from
 * this software without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

// Copyright (c) 2000 by the University of Southern California
// All rights reserved.
//
// Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
// documentation in source and binary forms for non-commercial purposes
// and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
// notice appear in all copies and that both the copyright notice and
// this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. and that
// any documentation, advertising materials, and other materials related
// to such distribution and use acknowledge that the software was
// developed by the University of Southern California, Information
// Sciences Institute.  The name of the University may not be used to
// endorse or promote products derived from this software without
// specific prior written permission.
//
// THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA makes no representations about
// the suitability of this software for any purpose.  THIS SOFTWARE IS
// PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
// INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
// MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
//
// Other copyrights might apply to parts of this software and are so
// noted when applicable.

 * Copyright (c) Xerox Corporation 1997. All rights reserved.
 *
 * License is granted to copy, to use, and to make and to use derivative
 * works for research and evaluation purposes, provided that Xerox is
 * acknowledged in all documentation pertaining to any such copy or
 * derivative work. Xerox grants no other licenses expressed or
 * implied. The Xerox trade name should not be used in any advertising
 * without its written permission.
 *
 * XEROX CORPORATION MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING EITHER THE
 * MERCHANTABILITY OF THIS SOFTWARE OR THE SUITABILITY OF THIS SOFTWARE
 * FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  The software is provided "as is" without
 * express or implied warranty of any kind.
 *
 * These notices must be retained in any copies of any part of this
 * software.

 * Copyright (c) Sun Microsystems, Inc. 1998 All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
 *
 * 4. The name of the Sun Microsystems, Inc nor may not be used to endorse or
 *      promote products derived from this software without specific prior
 *      written permission.
 *
 * SUN MICROSYSTEMS MERCHANTABILITY OF THIS SOFTWARE OR THE SUITABILITY OF
THIS
 * SOFTWARE FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  The software is provided "as is"
 * without express or implied warranty of any kind.
 *
 * These notices must be retained in any copies of any part of this software.

Copyright (c) 1997, 1998 Carnegie Mellon University.  All Rights
Reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation is hereby granted (including for
commercial or for-profit use), provided that both the copyright notice
and this permission notice appear in all copies of the software,
derivative works, or modified versions, and any portions thereof, and
that both notices appear in supporting documentation, and that credit
is given to Carnegie Mellon University in all publications reporting
on direct or indirect use of this code or its derivatives.

ALL CODE, SOFTWARE, PROTOCOLS, AND ARCHITECTURES DEVELOPED BY THE CMU
MONARCH PROJECT ARE EXPERIMENTAL AND ARE KNOWN TO HAVE BUGS, SOME OF
WHICH MAY HAVE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES. CARNEGIE MELLON PROVIDES THIS
SOFTWARE OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN ITS ``AS IS'' CONDITION,
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE OR
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGE.

Carnegie Mellon encourages (but does not require) users of this
software or intellectual property to return any improvements or
extensions that they make, and to grant Carnegie Mellon the rights to
redistribute these changes without encumbrance.

 * tclAppInit.c --
 *
 *      Provides a default version of the main program and Tcl_AppInit
 *      procedure for Tcl applications (without Tk).
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2000 USC/ISI
 * Copyright (c) 1993 The Regents of the University of California.
 * Copyright (c) 1994-1995 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
 *
 * See the file "license.terms" for information on usage and redistribution
 * of this file, and for a DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES.

The "license.terms" file can be found in the tcl distribution.

 * Copyright (c) 2000, Nortel Networks.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * License is granted to copy, to use, to make and to use derivative
 * works for research and evaluation purposes.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *

To find copyright types:
grep Copyright *.{cc,h} \