Re: GPL linking question

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 11:26:14AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> The mysql server is GPL. The proprietary program implements its own
> mysql client to connect to the server; it doesn't link against the
> mysql client code (which is also GPL).
>
> The mysql.com web site says you require a commercial license for the
> mysql server (ie you cannot use it under the GPL) if (among other
> reasons):
>
> "You have a commercial application that ONLY works with MySQL and
> ships the application with the MySQL server. This is because we view
> this as linking even if it is done over the network."
>
> Is that a fair definition of linking? (Note that the above clause is
> only on the web site, and isn't actually added to the GPL they use for
> the mysql server software itself.)

[1] the GPL doesn't actually use the term "linking" in the terms and
conditions.

[2] in general, the difference between a network connection and a cpu
bus is only of interest to a technical person.  And even there, it's
perfectly reasonable (e.g. beowulf clusters) to design programs which
are spread out over a network.

[3] while the GPL's distribution restrictions might apply to the
distribution of an sql application, they aren't relevant if that
application is never distributed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

--