Re: Linking a GPL'd library to a LGPL'd one

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:39:03PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> I need an advice about library license.
>
> If I develop a library L1 that links to another library L2 which is
> GPL'd, could I release L1 under the LGPL, or am I forced to release L1
> under the GPL?

You're not forced to release L1, so you're not forced to release L1
under the GPL.

The obvious problem you can create for yourself, here, involves releasing
L1 under a license which isn't compatible with the GPL -- this would
mean that people couldn't really use your library until that issue was
resolved (though they could, of course, still read it).

So: either license will work.

--
Raul