Re: PBS License

On 17 Jul 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

>John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
>> With the XFree86 license, it's tough to find a restriction, but they have
>> one:
>>
>>  The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
>>    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>>
>> this necessarily restricts the redistribution to copies carrying a copy of
>> the license.
>
>But that's not an additional restriction.  You are just confused

The license doesn't say ADDITIONAL restriction, it simply says
restrictions.  Adding words that are not there to make it free is not only
dishonest, it's stupid.

>(again).  And you are basically trying to impede the progress of the
>Debian project.  Please stop.

Arguing that a license is vague enough to be non-free is impeding?  Then
you've been impeding Debian ever since you subscribed to this list (I
believe the first argument you and I had on this list was you taking the
position that the Artistic license was too vague to be DFSG free), and
you haven't stopped yet.  In fact, I'd say that you're the second largest
detractor from the SNR around here, my responses to your non-licensure
based tangents being the first.  I'll not stop responding to messages just
because you can't take the heat, so the ball's entirely in your court.
This list is for discussion of licenses to find a consensus as to the DFSG
freeness of them, and I was discussing my position: that of the PBS
license being non-free.  You chime in by implying that my motives are not
yours.  You're right: my motives are to ensure that all possible
objections that can come up about a license do come up, so the consensus
opinion is fully informed.  All you have to add to this is a
misinterpretation of the license terms and a request that I cease.  Who's
impeding the progress of Debian?

Please note that I have taken the original requestor off the CC list, as
I really don't think that they would get a very good impression of Debian
when you fall to your usual rhetoric about how I am not a part of Debian
and you are so therefore your unsupported word should take precedence over
my supported word.  If you have something valid to say about the license,
feel free to re-CC them.  If you have nothing more than personal attacks,
please leave the CC list as is, as I think that Edmund can take care of
himself in this regard.

--
The early worm gets the bird.