Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

On 28 Jun 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

>John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
>> You know, I'd say that no employer is going to give two shits about
>> activity on a mailing list, but your past actions speak of a willingness
>> to try to give the lie to that statement.  The only relevant issue to
>> employment that I can see from the collected email of a given person is
>> whether or not they did it on company time.
>
>Having been in the position of hiring people and making hiring
>recommendations, I can certainly report that looking through news
>posts and mailing list archives is common practice and a good idea.

News is easy: deja.  Now tell me how you're going to search mailinglists.
Do you ask the applicant what mailinglists they post to, or do you just go
around with a big old shotgun and search all the mailinglists you can
find?  Not all mailinglists are like Debian's, some actually refuse to
archive.  Of course there's all the m2n gateways, but they're flaky at
best.  I'm thinking that this one was made up out of whole cloth: it's
unfeasable.

--
EMACS == Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping